Are you interested in knowing the secret sauce behind the great professional e-mails that you receive which appear very much pleasing to you? Then here we enable you with the simple ways and techniques by which you can improve your professional email writing skills.
Nowadays, basic professional email is a cup of tea for everyone. The time we wake up in the morning till the dusk in the evening we keep a strong check on our emails that we receive or we share. These emails are a vital source of communication to exchange important business details and other confidential matters. And as we know that the first impression is the last impression, we thoroughly need to keep a dynamic approach in order to update ourselves with our email writing skills.
“To find out your real opinion of someone, judge the impression you have when you first see a letter from them.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
As we are aggressively progressing on Social Media to exchange communication, EMAIL is the most essential tool to present and address ourselves and our brand on a global platform to our clients or colleagues so as to build our unique identity.
Now the biggest challenge that we face in our day-to-day professional life, is that how to attract the customer towards our brand, how to make sure that our message and intention are rightly delivered to the receiver. To eliminate this challenge most of us try surfing on the net to find creative subject matter or catchy headlines and content. At times we get lost by the hustle & bustle of grammar and the subtleties of the written word.
But, in order to write a great authentic Professional E-mail, we need to think out of the box, and need to address two important things in our mind:
- Getting focused on common mistakes to avoid
- Moving towards next-level strategies to achieve success
Now let’s begin how we can become a PRO in writing a professional email and take our brand to another level of success.
Email Writing Skills
First, we have to understand the COMPOSITION OF AN ACCEPTABLE EMAIL
- Subject Line:- The foremost vital part of an email is a creative subject line. At times we misunderstand the value of the subject line and we ignore its importance in the mail. The power of the subject line is that it can attract a huge number of audience towards your email and can grab the bull by the horns. If you want to reduce the chances of your mail being get ignored in the inbox of the receiver you definitely need to add a catchy Subject Line for your e-mail. To build up a strong professional network you need to keep a birds-eye view over your subject line
- Greetings/Opening Line:- A well-written email should showcase that you value and respect other people’s time. Greeting or Opening line is a salutation. It is a quick greeting to the receiver who will be acknowledging your mail. The opening line of the first line of the main body should be counted as a new sentence and the first letter should be capitalized.
- E-mail Body:- An effective business e-mail focuses on personalization and perfectly matches to a specific situation. Here you share your intention of the mail to the receiver. It should be written with a formal tone depicting a clear understanding of the purpose of your e-mail. You should focus on keeping it concise and state your message in the appropriate sentences, keeping it short. Your message here should emphasize drawing the attention of the reader.
- Closure:- All’s well that ends well. In order to sign-off your e-mail, you should stress upon a friendly writing tone. You should close up your message with words that ensure an adequate level of professionalism. You can include a punchline that goes in-line with your business. Do remember to keep your tone and language gentle and sound patient.
Grab Attention on Common E-Mail Writing Errors
Your chances of getting success through email purely depend upon your email writing etiquette. In order to bag the opportunity of professional success you need to avoid these mentioned obvious mistakes:
Neglecting Required Oxford Commas
The Oxford comma is a comma placed between the last two items in a series of three or more, missing it our can lead to confusion. These are necessary so as to avoid potential ambiguity.
Most people try hedging to modify the description to be more objective and convinced to the receiver. But at times this may sound dull and outdated, which can curtail your writing intention. In order to avoid this, directly share your point of view by explaining your idea.
Lengthy sentences/unclear copy
Most of us are in a habit of writing long paras which turn out to be a waste of time and energy, as no one is going to devote time to reading those long sentences. To make your mail more acceptable, you need to keep it short and focus majorly on your intention. You can send the mail with a Call-to-action trigger.
Too Much Formal
Try to build a bridge between formal and informal tone, by keeping in mind your relationship with the receiver. Stress upon building an appropriate channel of communication.
Using cliches are a symptom of lazy & dull communication. It shows the sender has not tried to convey the intended message in the right way. Try reading the draft for cliches to more effectively communicate your message while keeping the receiver engaged.
Repeating words or sentences makes the mail less emphasizing and often loses its charm. Try reading your message once again in order to avoid this mistake.
Try to keep the language of your mail natural and effective by directly coming to the point and sharing your views or ideas to the sender. There is no need to add stiffy language.
Excessive Use of Exclamation Marks
If you are trying to build a new association this mistake can definitely cost you high. In order to be on the safe side, Use your own view-point to determine what is necessary and what is not.
“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou
Taking Your Mail To A Next PRO-Level
After drafting an adequate email and tracking your mistakes, here is the time to finally boost up your e-mail.
- Share the message on the positive note
- Keep your track on the right tone
- Keep scheduled follow-ups
- Make your draft eye-captivating and catchy to the reader
A professional e-mail is the gateway to a new association or building up of a new relationship. So it is highly mandatory to keep a view on your writing skills behind the mail. And to assist you in this situation there is a tool famous by the name of GRAMMARLY.
Improve email writing skills in English with Grammarly supports composing a clear, concise, mistake-free content professional e-mail that will assist you in building your brand. It is adjudged as an AI-powered writing assistant. This tool helps you stand out from the crowd and make you write and deliver the best professional content.
So why to wait for the next mail, start creating a good professional email directly from the creative assistance of Try Grammarly.