What is the motivation? For the answer, I have selected some of the best definitions of motivation by different authors.
Motivation Definition by Different Authors:
- “Motivation is what moves us to act.” – McDonough
- “Motivation is defined as the power that triggers action that flows” – Cheng
- “Motivation is a desire that fuels an Individual to perform or continue an action based on needs and wants of the individual”
- “It may be defined as the degree to which individuals to commit effort to achieve goals that they perceive as being meaningful and worthwhile”
- “Motivation is the inner state that energizes channels and sustains human behavior.” – Glueck
After reading the above definitions, I hope you have learned all the aspects of motivation.
Types of Motivation
There are many types of motivation like Intrinsic and extrinsic, fear motivation, power motivation, attitude motivation, affiliation and social motivation, Incentive motivation, and achievement motivation, etc. but here we will discuss only two major types which are intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation.
Such type of motivation in which your reasons or motives come from inside the body and you are not driven by other people or by an end result or outcome. There are many motives that are included in these types of motivation such as curiosity, biological desires, Internal desires, internal fears, and psychological needs, etc. Let’s take the example of a biological desire like thirst, It is a driving force which originates from inside to force a person for drinking water.
This type of motivation is totally different from intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is a type of motivation, in which your motives come from outside the body which stimulates a person to take action. Motives like getting fame, money, promotions, Incentives, allowances, appreciation certificates, punishment and rewards, etc are the example of Extrinsic motivation.
Importance of Motivation
Motivation is the most important factor in the life of a human being; It is something that moves people to take action for the achievement of their goals. It will not wrong to say that motivation is the source of happiness and without motivation people can’t achieve anything and live happily in their lives because motivation provides them fuel to take necessary actions for the accomplishment of their goals and whenever they accomplish something great then that moment brings a lot of happiness and pleasure in their lives.
Advantages of Motivation
- Motivation helps people in clarifying and achieving their desired goals.
- It provides fuel or strength to the people to deal with Tough times and setbacks.
- It teaches perseverance.
- It is a great source of building self-confidence.
- It is a great weapon or tool to fight against fear.
- It helps in setting the priorities in life.
Tips on How to Get & Stay Motivated
Getting motivation and stay motivated is also the most important factor in our life. In my opinion, Motivation is essential in our lives as food, water, and oxygen are necessary for our lives. So here I am going to share a few tips with you who will be very helpful for you in getting motivation and stay motivated in your life. So the best tips on getting and staying motivated are in the following:
Read Motivational Books & Make Reading a Habit
Book reading is one of the best sources for getting motivation. So read high-quality books that inspire and motivate you. Here I am going to share a list of Motivational books that will boost your motivational level at the highest level. So the names of the best selling motivational books are the following:
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
- Live Your Dreams by Les Brown
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
Listen to the Famous Motivational Speakers
After the book reading, the second-best way to get motivation is listening to motivational tapes from the famous and worldly renowned speakers. This is my favorite way to acquire motivation and stay motivated. Listen to the motivational tapes over and over again this will be very helpful for you to achieve your goal. Here I am sharing with you some names of the famous motivational speaker who are the best in their field. You can find their tapes or motivational lectures on online video sites like Youtube or Dailymotion. So their names are in the following:
- Jim Rohn
- Tony Robbins
- Les Brown
- Eric Thomas
- T. D. Jakes
- Nick Vujicic
- Brian Tracy
Choose a Mentor Related to Your Field and Follow His Footsteps
The third and the last tip I am going to share with you is choosing a mentor related to your field, profession, or industry.
In closing words, I will give a suggestion that If you want to stay motivated when you have to repeat the given process over and over again because ups and downs are a part of life and whenever they will come into your like they will try to disturb and low your motivation confidence level. So never ever give up during your hard time and get the motivation back by repeating the above-given process.